Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sleepless night

It's early am and I haven't been able to get back to sleep yet so I thought maybe writing out what's bothering me will help so I can sleep.
Yesterday was a holiday in hubby's country so him and uncle cooked special food. Since it's a holiday, there was drinking. Hubby didn't have as much as he might have because he has to get up and go to work early. Around 1 am I heard something that sounded like someone walking into the kitchen table. Didn't think much of it. The cat wasn't in bed with us so maybe it was her jumping on the table. Few minutes go by and then I hear someone in the bathroom. There's all this banging and whatnot in the bathroom so I wake hubby up and make him go check. His uncle isn't all that well and I thought maybe something was wrong with him. Little did I realize. Hubby goes to the door and uncle says he's ok. I realize uncle is totally wasted. What I was hearing was he was bumping into things. I roll over to go back to sleep. All of a sudden I smell something like a wood burning stove. Really strong. We don't' have a wood burning stove. As I'm walking through the house it's getting stronger. I go out into the sun room and there is the electric heater turned upside down, smoking away. The tv was knocked off it's stand and there's broken glass all over the sun room carpeting. I see the heater and start screaming and flipping. I turn the heater over and am screaming at hubby to unplug it so I can get it outside. Hubby's all cool and calm telling me to relax. I'm yelling our house could have caught on fire because of this. Then I realize the living room and kitchen are full of smoke, so I start opening windows and doors and turning on all the ceiling fans. As I'm starting to calm down I realize his uncle was so drunk he knocked everything over and NEVER KNEW HE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point the fear and panic turned into anger. I told him uncle has to go. I want him out of my house. The sooner the better. No wonder his wife doesn't want anything to do with him. I don't blame her. I don't want the responsibility either.
Well, 4 am came and hubby got me up to take him to work and I told him I was already up. Never got back to sleep. I've done a lot of thanking to God for taking care of us because things could have been so much worse. Hubby's uncle was still bumping around in his room when we left so I asked hubby if he was still so drunk. Hubby said he thought he was felling better now. I told hubby to talk to him and tell him what he did. That he can not be left alone to drink in our house ever again. Hubby's response was that at least the tv wasn't broken! I told him I didn't care about the tv, that can be replaced. We could be homeless, or worse right now. Did he think about that?? And it would all be his uncles fault. I still want him out. I have to work on hubby about that one though.
So I called off from work because I've maybe had 3 hours of sleep all night. I'm still wide awake. Hopefully, now that I'm calmer I can get a few hours of sleep. I've decided I'm going to do the baking for the fair this weekend since I'll have the time. That way no rushing after I get home the rest of the week.
Maybe I'll do some reading, that should relax me enough to sleep. I hope.

2 comments:

Estela said...

That is scary! I think I'd feel exactly as you do and uncle would have to leave, or never drink in my house again.

Rose said...

Drinking to excess is a scary thing. I know. I have kids that do that

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.