Sunday, December 14, 2008

Off to a slow start

I think today is just going to be one of those days. One where you start out behind and just stay that way all day. The oldest got me up to take him to work, and for some reason, I think I slept for at least 30 minutes more. And the oldest will only wake me once and that's it. Roll out of bed and into clothes to take him to work. First thing hubby says is "you're late." The kid says mom wouldn't get up, lol.. That's right, blame it all on me, lol. Since I was up and sort of awake, I decided to take a ride down the road since I have an appt tomorrow. I haven't been out of my own town since Friday. I figure the weathers bad and the roads are bad, may as well stay home and get some things done that need to be done. But, I'm getting a little stir crazy and need to get out for a while now.
Took a drive down the road just to see how bad the damage from the storm was. As I'm driving I'm looking at the mountains and I notice they look snow covered. The view in my area is just bare trees and brown ground. Well, as I'm getting closer to the school, I noticed the view was changing drastically. The ground actually looked like it was snow covered, but it's not, it's all ice. The trees are all ice covered. With the blue sky and the sun shining, the view was absolutely breath taking. Parts of this road are tree lined on both sides, so it was like driving through a icy wonderland. Then I thought of all the people who lost power, some still, from all this. There are huge trees, that have been around for years, uprooted from the ground, huge branches just bent and looking like a wet noodle, hanging over power lines, covered in ice. The road is lined with debris from where the trees and branches have been cut to be removed to clear the road. There are still some branches laying on power lines that cross the roads. It was actually a little scary driving through there and under some of those lines. But, I have to get out tomorrow and I needed to know if I had to make a detour anywhere. I asked hubby to leave about 30 minutes early today so I can take him and the boys through there to see this. There is just such a drastic difference from where we are and where all this is, it's hard to comprehend, since we are only 5 minutes, if that, away from all this.
The whole day is mine today. I have a list and I'm going to work very hard on getting most of it done today.

2 comments:

jun said...

Hi Madison
it sounds awesome but i dont envy you
i need to go to shop but refuse to leave my bed. my house is cold too.
yesterday i did get outside for a few hours but dived into my bed as soon as my daughter dropped me off.
i will have to get used to the idea that winter is here and venture out more.
have you finished your knitting already?

Estela said...

Ice storms are scary, but they do look beautiful after they are done. We had a lot of debris in our streets this week from the storm(s) that came through on Wednesday and Thursday.

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.