Monday, December 8, 2008

Brrrrrr

Yesterday we got our very first snow fall of the season. It's so pretty. We got about 1 1/2", not much, but I'll take it, lol. We didn't go to church since we weren't sure if it was going to be cancelled or not. About 7 or 8 years ago, there was an accident with a couple from the congregation during the snow, so ever since, if the weathers to unsafe, church is cancelled. So, the youngest and I got every ones Christmas presents out and wrapped until we were exhausted. Notice I didn't say until we were done, lol? We didn't finish, but got a good start. Then, I had to run into Htown because we didn't have enough clothing boxes for hubby's and the oldest clothes. And the youngest, but he didn't know that. The closer I got to Htown, the less snow there was. While I was there I finished the Christmas shopping for the youngest. As I'm digging out all this stuff, I'm not finding anything for him. I found one small bag with a pair of jeans and 2 shirts. Crap!! So, I did some fast shopping for him to. Now he's done. I had bought him a coat for Christmas that I was going to save for this birthday, which is 2 weeks after Christmas, but I'm going to give it to him. I am going to buy him hoodies and sweatpants for his birthday. He has 2 hoodies and he wears the same one for a week. Eeewwww. So, this way, if I get him a few more, he can change the hoodie daily.
There was a book sale at the fire house in town so when I got back from town we went to that. All the books were half price. Cool! We all got a bunch of books and some home made treats. The local library also has paperbacks 5 for $1.00 all this week. They weren't at the sale because there just wasn't enough room. I'm a total sucker for historical romances. I'll be visiting the library this week, lol.
This whole week is supposed to be bitterly cold. Last night, the wind picked up, enough that I was turning the heat up higher than normal. The low last night was 8. The high today is 24. Winter is setting in, lol.
No sleep for me last night. Hubby was snoring all night. I tried the pillow over the face, thinking it would muffle the sound. Didn't last to long. Then pulled the covers over his face. Finally, I crawled out of bed and put one of those no snore thingies on his nose. It worked for a short while, then he was back at it again. I got up and checked and the thing was gone. I must have fell asleep at some point because the next thing I know, I'm being rudely shoved in the back to turn the alarm off. I got some sleep after that. Until 6:30 am. The youngest is in my room holding the alarm clock telling me we have no electric. Ok. So, he starts calling to see if it's just us or everyone. It's everyone. This results in the next 3 hours of non stop phone calls. Bye, bye sleep. Hubby had called twice during that time wanting the oldest to come to the station when I got up. I've been up most of the night. So, finally crawl out of my nice warm, comfy bed and give up on sleep. Got ready to leave and the temp in the house was 46. Yup, time to go. We went to the station, which was warmer. I figured it would be. Customers were saying a whole grid was out and there was 2,000 people without electric. Hubby had told me that as far as Albany there was no power. Albany is 2 hours away from us. Yet, we are 10 minutes from the state line, and 30 minutes down the road, in our state, there was power. That town was under a different power company though. So, we waited it out at the station. Power finally came back on around 11:30. So, the youngest and I took the long way home. When we got home the temp in the house was 58. Ok, not to bad, getting there. I'm going to try to talk hubby into getting a generator for the house. Over the summer we had the same problem. No electric for hours and it was in the upper 80's. It gets hot without so much as a fan. This way, we can at least have heat or air and running water. I'll start pricing them after the new year and see if I can talk him into it. There have been times up here in the winter the snow storms have knocked the power out. The cold is brutal and if it's widespread, there's no where to go. You can't even go into a store because they are affected to.
So, the kids were off from school today. Not good. Destroyed my plans for today and they are just making me crazy lately. They had like a week off for Thanksgiving and the Christmas break this year is 2 weeks! That's to much time off, lol! I was thinking about taking the day after Christmas off, but they will be home. Don't want to do that. Don't want to work either because the brat is home also. At least I don't have to listen to my own kids crap, but my lady's granddaughter I can't get away from. Next place I go I won't take it if there's kids there. Just can't handle it anymore. Must be getting old or something, lol.
The oldest is at the station with hubby. The youngest just got a call from a neighbor wanting him to go shopping with her. Great, go, get out, lol. Finally, finally some time to myself. It's 4:00, but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully, today will be a late day for hubby.
As I was getting the Christmas gifts out yesterday I realized that I still have sewing to do to. The pj bottoms. I had planned on working on the youngest pants since he's always around. Hubby's and the oldest I can do throughout the week, because they are at the station. but, no such luck. I only have 2 more Mondays to get the youngest pants done and I have 2 pairs for him. I have to get this done. What I really have to do is kick the kids out for the day, lol.
There has been this black cat hanging around the neighborhood. I've asked the 2 women in the neighborhood, who seem to know everything, who's cat it is. No one seems to know. It's a beautiful, black long haired cat. I haven't been able to get to close to it, but it's always hanging around my house. I took pity on it and put food and water out for it. Got pretty close to it while it was eating, but not close enough to touch. We'll see over time. I'll bring the food and water in over night, but for now, I'll feed it and see what happens. Maybe I'll be able to get close to it. I've been seeing it for a few weeks now, but since it's a black cat and I know of 2 neighbors who have black cats, I just thought it was theres. I just got close to it today, during the day, to notice it's a long hair cat. Obviously not the neighbors.
Since it's snowed and gotten colder, the Christmas spirit has set in, a little. Enough that I bought some stuff to decorate the outside of the house. I'm not doing anymore inside than I already have. It's not overly cluttered and that's fine with me. By the time we get a tree in here, it will be more than enough. I've been thinking about getting a real tree this year. We've had a fake one since we've been up here and I thought a real one might be a nice change. I'll have to tell myself that when I'm still vacuuming pine needles in August, lol. I was telling hubby about it. He said he would check into the prices. I've seen prices in Htown for trees between $20 and $25. I don't know how big they are, but I don't want a huge one. I want a 4' or 5' tree, but very fat. Then I was thinking maybe we should get a tree with the root ball so we can plant it in the back of the yard in the spring. That way it's not really a waste of money and if we do that every year, we can have a whole row of pine trees in the back of the yard. Some type of wind breakage back there. Well, maybe not for us, but for whoever lives here after us, lol. I just love pine trees. Coming from Jersey, pine trees aren't something you see a lot of. Not where I grew up at. I love the look of them when the snow stays on the branches.
Well, the dryer's done and I want to make a pot of veggie soup for dinner. I've been wanting home made veggie soup for days now.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.