Friday, December 12, 2008

Unexpected day off

What a crazy week weather wise it's been here lately. Monday no power all morning, Thursday an ice storm moved through and today, no power in lots of places because of the heavy icing before it all turned to rain, and now it's snowing! Fortunately, this time we are not in the power outage, yet. A huge portion of the county is, so much so we're under a state of emergency due to the tree branches down from the icing and the flooding from all the rain. It's not looking like it's going to be a very good winter this year. Personally, I would rather have feet of snow, than icing. Ice storms seem to do way to much damage. I've been talking to hubby about a generator, maybe. I've also been talking to hubby about hooking up the propane fireplace we have. It was unhooked when we bought the house. Originally the house was all propane, but the last owners converted everything to electric, except the heat, but you still have to have electric to run the heater. I would like to put in a wood burning or pellet burning stove and get the fireplace in working order again. Hubby agreed to the fireplace, but to have it hooked up in the Spring. It could be a very long cold winter until then.
We are one of the few areas that do have power. What I've been told is that from the school on the power is out. We are 5 minutes from the school, on the opposite side. But, there is so much flooding on the roads, traveling is still difficult. I took hubby to work this morning, at 4am and we hit 3 flooded spots. One really huge. At that time in the morning it's hard to see and I'm not really awake anyway. Hubby was awake, he starts yelling and holding on to the door when I hit the first flooded area, lol. Slow down, slow down he goes, lol. I was only doing 45 because it was raining so hard anyway. I did slow way down after that though. When I took the oldest to work this morning, the road was still flooded, just didn't seem as bad. At that time I thought I had to work, so I dropped him just in case. After that I called my patient and was going to tell her to call me when she got power because I won't know when it goes back on, unless mine goes out, and she said not to bother because there's still tree branches on the road and 2 of her trees are down, one is blocking the driveway, so she has to get that cleared first anyway. Ok, unplanned day off. Now, what to do?? Going to play catch up is what. Finish wrapping some more gifts, work on sewing the pjs for the oldest. That should keep me quite busy all day. I didn't plan on going anywhere over the weekend, except to church, so hopefully, if I stay focused, I should have all the pjs made by the time I go back to work on Tuesday. I have to work on the youngest pjs on Monday since he's still here and not planning on going anywhere. I'll have to wrap and hide his gifts to that day. I don't' like to wrap gifts on Christmas eve. It's a chore just to put out gifts, let alone wrap them. I remember some years my parents wouldn't put up the tree until Christmas eve. I can't imagine just how tired they probably were the next day. To put that whole thing up, put the gifts out, then get up around 6 am with us kids, then mom had all the cooking to do. Geez, I feel tired just thinking about that! I never did that. We don't even have our tree up yet. I want to go get one Sunday, after church. The plan is to put it up and decorate it then. Will make for a rather long evening unless everyone pitches in and helps. I don't want to find myself decorating it alone on Monday.
Well, as usual, the laundry is calling my name, time to get my day started.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.