This has been one of those days where I've been taken out of my comfort zone, and I have to say I'm not likin' it, lol! The oldest has been contacting military recruiters. There has been one here a few months ago, but the oldest wasn't home and never really made any definite plans to talk to them again, so basically I forgot about it. Until today. This afternoon one shows up at the door. The oldest is home, by chance, because he is getting sick. I think he is starting with what hubby has. I heard him up a few times during the night so I thought he was sick. This kid never gets up during the night. He said he just couldn't sleep because his throat hurt and his whole body is achy. So, I took him to work to just make the chicken tenders for the lunch rush, and then told him he could come home. While he was working the youngest and I went food shopping. Yes, stupid me, braved the grocery stores right before a big snow storm. After we went shopping, I switched kids at the station. That's why the oldest is home now. At least I got away from the youngest for a few hours, he can make hubby crazy, lol. This kid just is never quiet and never still.
So, the recruiter shows up and the oldest is just jumping for joy that he can finally meet with this guy and get this process going. Mom on the other hand, not so much. But the oldest takes the practice test and me and this kid talk about how the military works. Because, I'm clueless. Not that I believe everything this kid told me, but they have to make it sound good. I have friends who have kids in the military. My first husband was in the Navy. Anyway, I'm trying to digest everything he told me, which wasn't much. This guy was still learning how to be a recruiter, so a lot of his responses were he would have to call his station commander for answers to my questions. Well, my thoughts at first were pretty much if he's still learning and doesn't have the answers, why is he here and not someone who can answer my questions. I think I really frustrated him because he was just like, look, I'm new at this, I don't have all your answers, but I can find out for you. I'm learning to. Once I got him to start explaining how the military process works, he was much more comfortable. Then he had answers to my questions. I'm not anymore at ease with this whole thing now than I was before his visit. While we were talking the oldest did a practice test to see kind of where his score is. He needs to practice more. I thought he did ok, considering he's never laid eyes on the test before. Not enough for the Army to accept him, but he could have done much worse. So when the recruiter left, I told the oldest that if he really wants this, then it is up to him to make the time to study and discipline himself to pass this test. No more playing the ps2 until all hours, no more movies all night. He has to put in the study time. We'll see what happens. He graduates in 5 months, so he has to have something in place by then. He's still fighting me on college, and I know I can't force the kid to go. Maybe this is something he really wants and will put the effort in to do it. As for myself, I'm leaving all of this in God's hands. I'm like any other mother, I don't want my son in the military, but maybe it's God's will that he goes there. And I'm trusting God to take care of him if he goes in. I've had quite a while to wrestle with myself on this, and things keep moving in that direction, so maybe it's meant to be. First he has to get accepted. I'm sure if he does, my first reaction will be to panic. I really think the whole reason the military appeals to him is because of the routine. He's the most comfortable with routine. We'll see what happens over the next few months.
I just found out today that hubby is going to be starting on nights on Monday. I don't like hubby working nights. We never see each other, but I don't like him working alone over night in the station. The last time they were robbed, hubby was the one working. That is always in the back of my mind when he's there alone. I would always call him before I went to bed, just so I knew I talked to him. The good part of hubby working nights, is I don't have to listen to him snore all night and me and the cat get the whole bed to ourselves, lol.
While I was out I hit Walmart. I'm not a frequent Walmart shopper, but I was looking for some warmer socks. I only have one pair that is heavy and warm and since my lady's daughter doesn't turn the heat on, and there is no basement under the house, I have cold feet a lot. Warmer socks just never occurred to me until I wore a heavier pair. Some days my head's just not attached. So, since I was out and had to get a new toothbrush, since having strep, I went searching for boot socks. For once, Walmart had what I was looking for. Took some searching, but I found them. Bought 3 pairs. That should be good for the really super cold days. I know I have some wool in my yarn stash, so going to dig that out and work on making some to. Nice easy projects I can work on in the summer.
Church has been cancelled for tomorrow because of the snow. No surprise. We are now supposed to get 10+. Well, if it's going to snow that much, may as well do it over the weekend so on Monday, everythings clear and the kids don't miss any school. These kids have just had way to many days off already, lol!
This is my little piece of cyberspace to put my thoughts from weight loss, childrearing and everything in between.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Facebook Badge
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(200)
-
▼
January
(23)
- Ho hum day
- Just to much
- What a day!
- More snow and ice on the way
- Not such a bad day
- Sunday
- End of the work week
- There's a cat fish in my tank
- lifesalearningprocess
- Nothings getting done today
- Random thoughts
- Saturday
- The weekend has to be better
- A cold Wednesday
- Glad this day is almost over!!
- Taking a break
- Snowed in
- Not likin' this day
- Why, why, why
- Short day
- Yet another snow day!
- This and that
- Feeling better
-
▼
January
(23)
About Me
- madison
- I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.
No comments:
Post a Comment