Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snowed in

It's still snowing!! This started yesterday around 4 pm and is still at it. We just might get that 10" they are predicting. There's quite a bit out there now. I had to take the youngest to work with hubby, since the oldest isn't really feeling all that well. The youngest cleared the steps and a path to the car. He also cleared the car, but he forgot to clear a path to the car, lol. Wet feet for me, lol!! I did wear my waterproof boots, because I know this kid. He tells me if I didn't want wet feet that I needed to move the car to where it's been plowed. But, I still have to walk in the snow to get to the car to move it to the plowed spot, lol. He missed the point. He's more than willing to move the car for me, but he's never driven in snow and I'm not about to let him start just yet. Hubby's uncle's car is still taking up space in our driveway, and I don't want to take any chances with someone hitting it. Especially not him. I've come close myself. It's parked in such a spot that makes it difficult to maneuver around. Of course, he can't find the keys for it................ Just don't know why he didn't take it with him, would have made things much easier for everyone.

Since there's no church today I listened to my radio shows message today. It was on tithing. I've been watching some of my preachers on tv and seems like that is a common theme lately. One thing I have decided to do was to tithe on a regular basis. I learned when I was a single parent that giving 10% worked. I always had just enough money when I needed it. But, you have to know how to look for it. At least I did. After moving to NY and getting settled, it took me a while to find a church. A lot of churches up here have the word reformed in their names. That's all new to me. There are a lot of independent churches up here to. That is a new thing to me to. I also knew that I had to be careful about where I went. There are a lot of different preaching styles out there. Some churches have changed with the times, some haven't. I knew what I was looking for, it was just finding it that was the problem. Anyway, a little off track here. The church I attend is an independent church, and they don't pass the offering plate. You give if you can. I have mixed feelings about this. But for myself, since I decided that I need to attend church and Bible study weekly, and I've been doing really well with that so far. In the past few months I've only missed bible study once, because by the time I found out there was bible study, it was to late. Missed church once because I just didn't have the energy to get out of the bed. But now, since I've been doing that, I find I really miss it when it's cancelled due to the weather.
Ok, back to the tithing. I know when I give back that 10% I will always have just enough. Enough for the necessities. Not necessarily for the wants. I think that's what makes it so hard. I have to many wants, lol. But, I've noticed that every week, I have enough money to pay the bills that need to be paid at that time. Since I'm working less, hubby is picking up more of the household bills to. I no longer have the monthly fuel bill I used to have. The phone and Internet are all on one bill, which is actually cheaper than if it was separate. I myself have cut back on buying magazines and books. I cancelled my monthly book service. I now only renew the magazines I really want. Not that I actually read them each month, but at least it's not so many. The electric bill I have on a budget plan. This plan ends the end of the year. That means either a huge bill in December, a normal bill, or nothing. My electric bill is paid ahead for about 4 months now. I'm hoping that it doesn't work to hurt me in the long run. Last year my payment in December was double. But, I honestly believe that if I wasn't giving back, things wouldn't be this way now. Things just feel much easier now. It's hard giving back, especially when, well as a woman, there's always something we think we need, lol. All the stores are having great sales and I'm one of those people who loves to update my winter wardrobe in January because I can get all that great stuff for half of what it was a few weeks ago. We always need new shoes and purses, lol.

Went food shopping yesterday. I can't believe how things are still going up. I spent more money yesterday, than I have on food in a long time. Hubby gave me more money that I asked for and I spent every penny of it. I still have to get a few other things. I went to 2 stores. My normal store and then to the local market since they are having a one dollar sale. I try to really stock up when they run those kinds of sales.

I've finally finished my antibiotic so now I can eat the fruit I've been missing. It's odd how when I can't have something that's when I miss it. I usually have grapefruit in the morning for breakfast. Can't have that with an antibiotic. I myself avoid all citrus fruits when I take that. Of course, I have grapefruit and tangerines in the house. My bananas went bad because when I eat a banana with an antibiotic, I get such heartburn from it.

The oldest has a cold and he's acting like a cripple, lol. He can't do anything because he has a sore throat. Even hubby's babying him! Ugh, not me. No one babied me when I was sick. Hubby took care of me one night, that was it. I was on my own after that. I even had to do my own ear drops. You know how difficult that was? The fridge is well stocked so I think I'm going to make a pot of veggie soup for tonight. I'll freeze the leftovers. I have no plans for today except to work on mom's gloves. I haven't touched them since knitting class ended. It should be starting with in the next few weeks again. It would be nice to have at least one done before then. Hubby's vest is still waiting. I have to be in the mood to do these things, because they really do take a lot of concentration. Sometimes, I just want a nice easy project. I take easy projects to work with me because of all the interruptions. It's very easy to get lost and there's nothing I dislike more than pulling stitches out of knitting. Crocheting I have no problem pulling stitches. Knitting, forget it.

My printer has decide to give me a hard time. It refuses to feed the paper through. I don't want to get another one, can't afford it now. It seems to me that I remember reading, long time ago, about something that you can put on or do to the rollers to make the paper feed through again. I think over time the rollers lose their grip or something. Anyway, going to have the oldest look at it today.

2 comments:

jun said...

had trouble with my comment. got an error message. I sure hope my comment isnt floating around out there and suddenly show up. lol
anyway , was saying sorry to hear your youngest is sick. i sure hope he gets better so that he can enjoy his birthday.
i forgot what all i wrote in my comment. my brain is not functioning because i started this weight loss drinks . I AM STARVING TO DEATH lol
i do remember saying that the bananas give me heartburn too lately. i used to eat them evryday. now they cost too much anyway.lol
oh i agree about the tithing . it is mysterious how it works. I dont give regularl;y because i dont go to church regularly. Whenever autumn goes to my daughters church with them i give her money to put in collection.
I also send checks to missions work and ministries that i get my spiritual nourishment from on t.v.
I am homebound because of my health . I really am not to the point where i can interact with a sociual environment but i still need to hear the word. i cant sit there and say how much it helps me and then leave it to others to donate. lol
But you and I think alike on this. GOD IS SO GOOD to us.not just materially. He doesnt need our money but we need to feel as though in some small way we are doing something to show him how much we love and appreciate Him.And He sees us trying.Thats whats so great!
o.k. i better shut up. lol, hugs and love, jun, my word verification is song cat. lol

Heli gunner Tom said...

You sound a lot like my wife-- if she eats a banana she gets a head ache. You sound so busy at every turn. Have you posted a picture of yourself??
Now you got me in the vacuuming mood.. lol. My wife is very ill today.

Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.