Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Scavenger hunt


Lately I've been reading a lot about the stimulus bill and how going back to school is supposed to be more affordable. Especially with financial aid. So, I've decided to check into it and see how much help I might be able to get. A loan, of any kind, is still my last resort, no matter how low the percentage is. I printed out all the paperwork to do a paper form first thinking I can spread this out if I get interrupted and after I get everything filled in, I'll have a copy for myself and can just email the copy I do online. Well, I printed out the list of paperwork I'll need to fill out the form. Good grief, days and days of hunting this stuff simple because my filing system right now leaves a lot to be desired. I hate to file. Anything. So mainly after I pay a bill it just gets shoved in the closest drawer. I have 3 of those kinds of drawers, plus two folding file folders bulging at the seams. All need to be cleaned out and put in the filing cabinet. I actually do own one, lol. Problem is, it's shoved in a closet and it's much easier to just open a drawer and drop something in that it is to dig through the closet. But now, that I'm faced with this task, I might just move the file cabinet out into the room with the computers. That's where I pay my bills and stuff anyway, and the oldest is home for the next few days. That way I will actually have a whole closet floor of usable space! Like for winter shoes and boots, lol! I'm way to crammed in my closet now and I have the whole floor for my shoes and purses! I always keep the boxes my shoes come in. I think it keeps the shoes nicer than just piling them on top of each other. I do have some that came without boxes, but I've been known to snag the boys shoe boxes, lol.




I've done very little knitting over the past few weeks. Just tired and not in the mood. I have done a few small things. This is what I've accomplished so far. These are called Tawashis. I found the directions online at craftylish.com/how-to-crochet-a-tawashi for the crochet one and the knitted one, I can't seem to find the directions for, but I'm sure if you google it you can find it, or maybe different kinds. It is a Japanese name. They are made out of scraps of acrylic yarn in 2 or more colors and are used for washing dishes. The center one is crocheted and the two end ones are knitted. I like the knitted ones simply for the look of them, but the crocheted one is much bigger. But, the changing of the yarn on every row is a bit much for me. But, I might tackle another one since I do like the size of it. I've used all of them and they are great for washing the dishes. I have directions for a crocheted flower Tawashi I've yet to try. When done just toss in the washer and dryer since the yarn is acrylic you don't have to worry about shrinking or anything! I'm going to put mine in a basket after I get a few more finished. Just what I need in my kitchen, another basket, lol!

Took a trip to my favorite store. I was mainly looking for walking shorts. Cheap. I had seen some in Walmart, lots and in Fashion Bug, but for the price, well....................I'm not working right now and they were a bit much. I decided if I went to the thrift shop and found long pants that fit nice and are lose in the thigh/knee area that I could cut them off and make walking shorts out of them. I found two pairs that should work well, a navy pair and a khaki pair. They both have a little stretch to them, and are lose where I need them to be. I don't know why I never thought of doing this before. I have such a hard time finding dress pants to fit because they are never long enough in the leg part. I'm doing well if they reach anywhere close to my ankle. But, now I can make walking shorts out of them, still be cool and look nice for work. The youngest hates the khaki pair, but they are a neutral color. I'll have to do before and after pics.
The first gladiolas of the season. I'm so glad. They are my favorite flowers and I usually have to wait until August, but they are opening early!And, as you can see, my mums are blooming. Don't know when that happened. I didn't see any buds appearing on them, then I got sick, and now look at them! I'll have to go out one cloudy day and get all the flowers off so they actually bloom in the Fall like they're supposed to.


These are pics of the tomatoes. This one is of the cherry tomatoes. If you look really close you can see some green ones.


This is a pic of the regular tomatoes. So thrilled I have green ones hanging. If only a few :)




This is what the oldest worked on all day yesterday. If you look really close you can see some tiny carrots starting to grow. Now that the weeds are all gone, hopefully they will grow faster, lol. If you look on both sides, they are mostly weeds that need to go. On the left is supposed to be radishes and on the right hubby planted okra. Not that you can find anything for the weeds! See what happens when I'm not after the "males" in the house.


This is the youngest first attempt at laying stones. In the center is a lilac tree we have nurtured from basically just a twig. We kept a fence around it so hubby wouldn't weed whack it down but this year he put the stones around it. He also planted zinnias and marigolds around the outside of it. Looks like the flowers might get bigger than the lilac tree, lol.


Well, I've spent way to much time on here and it's not looking like we are going to make it to Bible study. We haven't had dinner yet, so time for me to go.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

Fine crochet work Madison. My mum, aunts and granny did a lot of it too.

Your gladiolas are very nice ours will bloom in the cooler season.

With radishes you can make mooli ka paratha, Mr will love it.

Your Mr will love palak paneer ( spinach with paneer) topped with cream with paraths.

I am told that our Indian spinach is different from the American one. Mr would know.

Followers

About Me

I'm a married mother of 2 teenage boys who lives in Upstate New York.